LST Research Fellow Program
The School is introducing a new research graduate fellowship. We are now receiving applications from those wishing to join the program.
Doctoral students who enroll in 2021, meet the criteria below, and apply for a research fellowship will, if approved by the School, be eligible for compensation for work related to research and research support activities. By retaining selected doctoral students as research fellows, this program aims to provide students with financial support and occasions to increase engagement with the School and to further develop their research skills. Participating students will also be able to note their involvement in the program on business cards and CVs.
Please be reminded that participants in this program are required to submit their research achievements at the end of the supported year, which will be used in screening for the following year's fellowship
Criteria for application
- Applicants and their (prospective) supervisors must be affiliated with the School of Life Science and Technology.
- Applicants' (prospective) supervisors must agree to provide research funding of a specified amount to the program, which is included in the total wage of ¥420,000 per semester.
- Applicants can also receive Tsubame Scholarship while participating in this program.
Students unable to apply for this program
- Students studying under an international scholarship program offered by the Japanese or a foreign government.
- Students receiving a JSPS Research Fellowship for Young Scientists, WISE program RAs, or RIKEN JRAs.
- Working, mature-age doctoral students.
- Students unable to receive salaries from the university due to employment restrictions of any form.
- Students who have received or plan to receive a total of ¥1.56 million or more from the university as RA salaries (excluding the research fellow) and/or from private companies as benefit-type scholarships in 2021. (If it turns out that a research fellow receives a total of 1.56 million yen or more in 2021, he or she needs to contact the School of Life Science and Technology Group Administrative Division immediately.)
- Students who have exceeded the regular period of study. (Please consult individually if there are special circumstances such as studying abroad.)
* Regarding the other issues, please consult with the Dean of the School via a faculty member. Direct contacts from students are not allowed.
- ・Research work necessary to effectively promote research projects carried out at the School of Life Science and Technology.
- ・Research support work that requires a high degree of specialized knowledge, such as management and operation of the Open Facility Center. (Please consult with your supervisor to determine the content of your work.)
¥840,000 per year (¥420,000 per semester)
Schedule for application
Sept. 8, 2021: Applications will begin to be accepted.
Sept. 30, 2021: Deadline for Fall applications.
Around Oct. 6, 2021: Recipients will be determined and notified.
Nov. 1, 2021: Payments are planned to begin.
Please download the files below and insert your student number and name into the file names upon submission. (If you don’t know your student number at the time of submission, please leave it blank and let us know when you know it.)
- 1) “Research Fellow Application Form_student number_Name” (Excel document)
- ・Submit the printed form with the supervisor’s seal to the mail box below.
- 2) “Research Plan_student number_Name” (prepared in Word, converted to PDF before submission)
- ・Submit the “Research Plan” (PDF) and "Application Form" (Excel) files via e-mail to the address below, with the subject line "生命理工学院リサーチフェロー申請".
Life Science and Technology Group Administrative Division: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mail box: B-70, Room 120, 1st Floor, B2 Building, Suzukakedai
Q: It is said that doctoral students are eligible. Are doctoral students eligible regardless of whether he/she has earned Master's degree from Tokyo Tech or from another university?
A: Doctoral students are eligible wherever they have earned Master's degree.
Q: If I apply for LST-RF upon enrollment and am not selected as a recipient, can I re-apply for LST-RF next year?
A: You can re-apply for LST-RF with your supervisor's consent.
Q: A criterion for application is that supervisors are affiliated with LST. Could you go into more detail?
A: Most professors supervising LST students are affiliated with LST, whereas the other professors are affiliated with another school or Institute of Innovative Research (IIR). Professors affiliated with LST are listed here (https://www.titech.ac.jp/english/about/faculty/schools/list05.html). Please note that there is a similar research fellow program in IIR, so please consult with your supervisor if he/she is affiliated with IIR.
Q: Could you explain why students receiving ¥1.56 million or more are not eligible?
A: Annual stipend for JSPS Research Fellowship for Young Scientists (DC) is ¥2.4 million. The cap is placed so that the total amount does not exceed ¥2.4 million.
Q: What financial support is available for students other than LST-RF?
A: Please take a look at this page (https://www.titech.ac.jp/english/enrolled/tuition) for detail. Tsubame Scholarship is available for all the doctoral students that satisfy a few conditions. Various financial measures including research assistant (RA) and teaching assistant (TA) are available, particularly for doctoral students.